Monday, March 3, 2014

Music Monday: Family of The Year Band Review by Asheville, NC Wedding and Portrait Photographer

Last Monday I started my new series on here "Book Review and Music Monday!" I am a photographer, but I am so many other things than just a photographer! A huge part of my daily life is music...for whoever doesn't know my husband, Stephen, is a songwriter and audio engineer! Ever since the day we said I do (and even before then lol) I have been listening to him working on different song projects and mixing songs into the wee hours of the morning. 

I grew up in a musical family, I as well as my three other siblings all sing and songwrite. I started whistling at the age of 6 after hearing a family friend's bird singing and I began singing at the age of 11. I wrote my first song around the age of 12 or 13...writing has always been a huge outlet for me and connecting two of the things I really love, writing + music, just made sense. 

Stephen and I's daily life is filled with music whether it's him working on a new song, or showing me a new band he's just discovered, both of us are incredibly inspired by music and it's ability to transform an ordinary day into something special. 

I was super excited when I stumbled upon the band "Family of the Year." I first heard their song "Find It," on a tv show and then heard their song "ChugJug," on a commercial and my interest was piqued! Stephen's songs are often featured on various tv shows and commercials and because of that is has made me much more interested in looking up other songs that I hear on tv; I challenge you to do the same....you will find that there are a lot of amazing bands out there who aren't necessarily being played on mainstream radio yet. 

Family of the year is made up of four band members, two of which are brothers! They were formed in 2009 and since then have released three ep's and two full-length albums. Their music has a folk quality to it with harmonies that are out of this world!! I grew up listening to The Beach Boys thanks to my dad's wonderful music taste and the harmonies on "Find It," are harmonies that the Wilson boys themselves would have been very proud of. When I feel like relaxing and winding down while listening to some beautiful harmonies I listen to Family of The Year! 

photo of guy playing guitar and girl holding onto him.
I thought this photo my friend Faith Teasley took of Stephen and I last Spring would be the perfect image for this post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment